Saturday, December 8, 2007

Marathon at Church

Last Sunday I was asked to sing with my friend Tiffanie for a Relief Society Visiting Teaching lesson at church. I had never heard the song before, "For Good" from Wicked, but it was sounding pretty good, and I was feeling good about it. THEN, the Friday before, we got a message from the primary presidency asking for one of my children to please give a talk in primary that same Sunday. Jadyn was so excited when she heard this and begged me to do it since she had never done it before. I thought, you know, we're singing at the beginning part of Relief Society, Jadyn doesn't talk tell the end, sure I can do this. So, Jadyn and I got it all ready. She had the talk down and memorized. My assignment, was to help her hold pictures, and help her if she got stuck. SO, we're sitting in Relief Society. All ready I knew I was off to a bad start. It was 12:30 and they were still doing announcements. Hadn't even started yet. I knew the primary was going to start closing exercises at 12:45. So, I nervously looked at the clock. Time passed, and they still hadn't turned time over to sing. By now, it was 12:45, Jadyn was supposed to give her talk, I was supposed to sing, but I had all of the pictures for Jadyn's talk. I was the only one that knew her talk to help her. WHAT WAS I SUPPOSED TO DO? SO, after talking to Tiffanie, I left and literally ran down the hall to the chapel to check to see if Jadyn was going to talk yet. The kids weren't even there yet. SO, I ran back. More time passed, we STILL hadn't sung. So, I ran back to the chapel. They were going VERY slowly through announcements. Still not time for her to talk. SO, I ran back to the relief society room. SHE was still talking. I sat for a while. She still hadn't turned the time over to us, so I RAN back to the chapel right in time to help Jadyn. She did a wonderful job. She only got stuck once. I gave her one word, and she was back on track. She told me she was nervous, but she did great. SO, I gave her a kiss and RAN back to the relief society room. I sat for about 30 seconds and they turned the time over to us. As I got up to sing, my heart was beating so fast from running back and forth, plus the pure adreneline from trying to be in two places at one time, and feeling bad for getting up and walking out so many times. BY SOME MIRACLE, I was able to sing, and it actually worked out. Come to find out afterwards, they had turned the time over for us to sing right as I walked out the door the 3rd time. The Relief Society president said, "Oh, she must be nervous!" Tiffanie told everyone that I was helping Jadyn give her first talk in primary, but apparently not many heard her. Some thought it was my first time singing and thought I kept running out of the room because I was throwing up from being so nervous! NICE! No, that's not embarrassing! Next time, I will never, ever commit to doing two things in the same hour. LESSON LEARNED!


Tom and Corinne Bradshaw Family said...

Well I finally got achance to catch up on your blog. Don't think I could of had the breath to talk let alone try and sing.So you go. Don't worry I am still knew at this also.

Marci said...

What a nightmare! I love that you have a blog now; it's so fun to keep up with your family.

Reeses Pieces said...

Oh the joys of being a Mormon woman!

Amy said...

Well, how about that... Who would have thought I would find you here? I finally started writing on a blog this fall after I saw Laurie Stone's.

It's good to see your family doing so well. Thomas always asks about Brennan.

What a great way to keep in touch.

Violet & Thomas said...

I'm not sure if I have met you yet but I am Jeff's cousin Violet. Dwight's daughter. I saw your link on Steve's blog. I hope you don't mind but I added a link on mine as well. You are welcome to add me to yours if you would like. It helps the family stay close even though we are so far away.

My address is

Lots of love,